Patient must meet all criteria:
- Clinical findings of malignancy with widespread, aggressive, or progressive disease as evidenced by increasing symptoms, worsening lab values, and/or evidence of metastatic disease.
- Palliative Performance Scale (PPS) < 70%
- Refuses further treatment or continues to decline in spite of treatment:
- Hypercalcemia > 12
- Cachexia or weight loss of 5% in past (3) months
- Recurrent disease after surgery/radiation/chemotherapy
- Signs or symptoms of advanced disease:
- requirement for transfusions
- malignant ascites, or
- pleural effusion, etc.
- Tissue diagnosis of malignancy, or
- Reason(s) why a tissue diagnosis is not available.
In the absence of one or more of the above findings, rapid decline or comorbidities may also support eligibility for hospice care.
ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)
MS (Multiple Sclerosis)
Renal Failure, Chronic or Acute
Frequent Co-Morbidity documentation requirements
Cachexia or Protein Calorie Malnutrition